Friday, July 22, 2016

Yet another day in the life...

Every two years or so I get the notion to journal my day. This time around I picked my birthday. Not for any special reason but just because it seemed like it might be a full day. It was! I then forgot about actually posting the entry for nearly 2 months. Better late than never! Without further palaver, this was my day:

06:18  A full 12 minutes before the "first" alarm I'm up and heading for the shower where I will hopefully wake up before I start driving anywhere. Sleep driving is never advisable.
07:15  Allison is awake. She's very excited that we're going to go see her Meemaa in "ONLY TWO DAYS!?!"
07:40  Pizza. It's what's for breakfast. Nice home-made stuff prepared by Heather and Allison the night before. Yummers!
07:45  Out the door and pulling out of the driveway. Allison waves good-bye and blows kisses as she does pretty much every morning. "Bye Dad! I love you one hundred million years!" I blow a kiss back. She eats it. "OM!" Then I toss one "for Mommy". Allison pretends to jump up and intercept it. "OM!" You read that right. We eat our kisses. Yummers!
Flowerbee
08:15 I'm parked in the last lot at Durand Park in northern Freehold attempting to be the first one to find the new "Float like a butterfly..." mystery cache. A few minutes later I had the cache in hand. Very cute. FTF! I complete a loop of the walking path and then head off to the office.
09:00  I make it into the office right on time only to find I had no reason to rush. No fires to put out this morning. A perfect birthday gift!

10:30  I just spent the morning coding a new automatic process that will update the status of "child" work-orders when the "parent" work-order is updated. When I go to test it I see a checkbox right there on the screen saying "Update Children". Did nobody ever notice this before asking me to make a "behavior modification" to the program? Fortunately the option "does nothing" so my changes were actually needed. Yeah, my job is exciting!
11:00  When signing into the website, some customers aren't able to see their bills that were generated last night. Turns out there was an internet outage that took down the interfaces last night. Craziness! What is crazier is actually getting bent out of shape because you can't immediately sign in and view your bill hours before it even makes it into the mail.
12:00  An email from my brother: "Haha You're old!!! Happy birthday, treat yourself to a hip replacement!!!". I reply with a promise to use my new hip to kick his ass the next time I see him.
12:30  My program changes are working. Time for my PB&J sandwich then a half-hour lunch-walk around the pond to scare the frogs.

Watersnake

13:00  Frogs go splash as I walk along the edge of the pond. Some frogs are taking flight where I am not... then I notice the water-snake moving along the bank. It is pretty scary to a frog too I suppose. I also spot some Sun-Fish and a mockingbird looking at me mockingly.
14:00  Everyone in the office is pretty busy this week. One co-worker has put up a sign across her door-way saying "Please Do No Disturb". If only the door-way had an actual DOOR she'd be able to get some work done.
14:30  I'm informed my Mentee went home early today and will not be attending the Graduation this afternoon. This is part of "Project Venture" a collaboration with Big Brothers Big Sisters of Monmouth & Ocean Counties of which I'm a mentor. My mentee is a great kid but has a poor attendance record.
15:00  I pop by the graduation anyway. Hey, free pizza and snacks are not something to be spurned! A half hour later the official ceremony is over so they break out the pizza. I wait for the ravening hoard of middle-school students to get their slice on then get in line just in time to have a choice between "White" and "Stuff we swept up off of the floor" topped pizza. I choose the white and miss the red sauce. Man those kids can eat!
16:00  "Small World" moment: One of the BBBS coordinators has looked familiar to me since I started the program back in September. I finally take the time to chat her up and figure out that we probably have met before. Turns out they have a branch office at the same church where I used to drop off non-perishables for a food-pantry. Neat coincidence.
17:45  I have left the office and I'm heading to Tatum Park where I will meet up with the family for a short hike in the woods to replace one of my geocaches that had been vandalized.
18:00  I'm listening to an Audio Book version of "All Creatures Great and Small" by James Herriot. Funny stuff. Much lighter than my last book which was "Of Mice and Men" by John Steinbeck. "Tell me about the rabbits again George!".
My little Buttercup18:30  Hiking in the woods with the family! Allison picks every flower she sees and gives it to one of us. I show her a game from my childhood where you hold a Buttercup under your chin. If your chin turns yellow... you like BUTTER! This amuses Allison to no end - especially when it turns out that Heather, the lactose intolerant member of our party, is incongruously a big butter-fan.

19:15  Back to the cars, Allison decides she wants to ride home "with Daddy". I treat her to some James Herriot who is relating an amusing anecdote about the time the pigs got out and ran down town. She sometimes likes the "Grown-up stories" I listen to. Separated into bite-sized chapters this one is a good fit.


20:00  Munching Cheddar Bacon Burritos as the Birthday Dinner. Yes, they are yummers. 
20:30  My mother-in-law pops by to hand me a B-Day card (Thanks!) and asks if I had seen the Chewbacca Mom video yet. We pull it up and it is indeed very funny. Her laugh is contagious! Allison also thinks the lady is giggle-worthy. We then watch Star Wars Wookie clips instead of reading a bedtime book. YouTube Parenting!
Horseback 7 year old Eric21:00  Allison's Bedtime story features Chewbacca who accidentally ends up crashing his spaceship in Cliffwood Beach, NJ and is then tormented by a butterfly that keeps landing on his nose. Eventually he re-wires the Dalton family cars into a new spaceship & rockets away. As he settles in for a nap the butterfly lands on his nose again & flutters in the snoring Wookie wind.
22:00 Time for some Throw Back Thursday action pulled from the old slides I had developed for my birthday present from Heather. Horse!
23:00 Tired of fighting with GSAK trying to set up way-point filters for the trip I think I will instead turn in for the night. I had a good day. Here's to another year!

Orignal From: Yet another day in the life...

No comments: