Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Not just rich... Beanie Rich!

I was recently mindlessly browsing the Facebook and a post caught my eye with an idiotic title suggesting that "if you have one of these 11 beanie babies you can retire now". I must have been avoiding doing actual work because I clicked through and crunched the numbers. If I had all of them and could sell them at the prices the inflated prices and EBay/Amazon didn't take their cut... I would have only 150 thousand dollars and couldn't possibly retire. Sounds like a Pump-and-Dump scam to me. But it got me to thinking.... so I brought out my Beanie Baby collection. Yeah, I have a whole collection! Back in the late 90s when they were all the rage I noticed the pattern that if they had "hard parts" like pincers, beaks, horns, etc, they were not collected as aggressively so they became rare. This collection method seems to have worked as my paltry beanie-stash contained 2 of the 11 on the list. Hooray! Good thing Allison wasn't too interested in them the last time I brought them out.

So, can I retire for a month or two at least? The two should fetch $3500. Let us check the Electronical Bay of Auctions to see for what price they are actually selling:
Mystic the Unicorn (with the Iridescent Horn & Yarn Mane) goes for $5.00 NOT $1,000. Oh well.
Claude the Crab (with the "error" on the hang-tag) goes for $4.00 NOT $2,500. Dad Gummit.

So, no I can't retire or even pay for my Fat Tuesday meal tonight at Popeye's. The BBs were only a few bucks each back in the day so I'm just going to give them to my daughter. Any she doesn't want can go into a Beanie Baby geocache. That way I get a few smiles out of it ... and hyperbole spewing bloggers and the EBay listings that feed on them don't get a cent. Yeah, Babies!

No comments: